Friday, February 03, 2006

myspace=my nightmare

What the hell is up with people on the internet pretending to be other people?
I just found out that some loser is actually pretending to be Molly Harvey on myspace.com in order to "brighten people's days". That's like pretending to be actress Lauren Tewes of "Love Boat" fame in order to get a good table. Who cares?

The lamest part about it is that the person pretending to be me can't spell or punctuate worth a damn. It's embarrassing, frankly. Also, the text on my profile is yanked straight from my actual website (mollyharvey.com) so not only are they unoriginal and lazy, (and breaking the law, as they're using explicitly copyrighted material without permission)... they're totally boring! If you're going to pretend to be someone else, why not make them as trippy and over the top as you possibly can?
Apparently, I'm just into meeting Residents fans, and writing Residents song lyrics on people's message boards, and asking people to write me and tell me their favorite Residents songs. I mean....HELLO? Is this person legally retarded? As much as I love love love love love love love the Residents, my relationship to them occupies about 1% of my consciousness and I would NEVER use my connection to them as something that defines me as a person. As an artist, definitely, but I would never use that as my profile on some website! And though I completely appreciate anyone who is a fan of the Residents, or of myself, I would never crassly seek out connections with/ attention from, people who are fans.
I don't normally write things that are personal and true here. But this is true. So please, if you are on myspace.com and you see a profile that says "molly" and it's a photo of a girl with long pink hair wearing an evening dress and a pair of huge rubber boots, please know that (though that is me in the photo), the person who has written that profile is NOT me. Ironically, I have now made a real profile on myspace which difinitively proves how maudlin, unglamorous and homey I am. It can be found at www.myspace.com/mollyharvey
If you would like to view the fake profile you can go to:http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=47897512

That is all. Thank you.

6 comments:

lastangelman said...

I learned about the fake residents/mollyharvey mysapce from Big Brother on the R-Bog. I had enrolled in my space last year and promptly forgot about it.
it does suck big time when someone pretends to be you on the internet.
That happened to me four or five years ago when someone attributed a posting to Amiannoying.com to me about a singer/sogwriter friend of mine and the website posted the damn thing. I had no idea until I received this e-mail from her demanding what the hell I thought I was doing? It was the most embarrassing thing and she still thinks to this day I was responsible for this. The people behind Amiannoying.com refused to remove the posting, even though I had demonstrated the proof I didn't do the posting, and eventually discovered the culprit ( a co-worker who was really sick in the head, who used a key logging program ). I hate not only this sick twisted co-worker who ruined one of my most cherished friendships (I'm mad at my former friend now for not believing me), I really despise Amiannoying.com for being complete jerkfaces for continuing to attribute the entry to me to this day.

Anonymous said...

myspace layoutmyspace layout

Anonymous said...

Great box myspace scroll info on your blog. Check out our new box myspace scroll site!!

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to bet on MollyHarvey.com for a year or two now, I'm glad I found you..

I am the church of terry blackphalus on myspace.

Long time fan, first time contactor(?)

Albert Mond returns said...

Wow! It's Molly Harvey! =D

mb40 said...

hey Molly,

some crazy ppl about these days, u must b aware, lol!! glad i found ur blog.

c ya, Yvan (mb40)